Tart Cherry Meringue Dessert Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- TOPPING AND FILLING:
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) pitted tart cherries
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 6 to 8 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, mix flour and salt; cut in shortening until crumbly. Add egg, stirring with a fork. Press mixture onto bottom and up sides of a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in almonds.
- 3. Drain cherries, reserving juice. Add enough water to juice to measure 1 cup; pour into a saucepan. Stir in tapioca, egg yolks and remaining sugar; let stand 5 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cherries, lemon juice and, if desired, food coloring.
- 4. Pour into crust. Immediately spread meringue over top, sealing edges to crust. Bake 22-25 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- 5. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 piece: 554 calories, 28g fat (6g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Reviews for Tart Cherry Meringue Dessert
"Webloved this cherry dessert with the meringue!! It looked like the picture and was soooooo good!! Thanks for the recipe!!"