Tarragon Peas with Lemon-Thyme Butter
This recipe is an example of how the right combination of herbs can turn an ordinary dish into something extraordinary. Use any leftover butter on grilled fish, chicken and steak.—Katherine White, Clemmons, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh peas
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, lemon zest, thyme and salt. Shape into a 1-in.-thick log; wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add peas; cover and cook for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Drain. Stir in tarragon and 2 tablespoons lemon-thyme butter.
- Rewrap remaining butter; refrigerate for 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 139 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Tarragon Peas with Lemon Thyme Compound Butter in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011