Tarragon Carrot Bread
For a healthy change of pace, try this moist, nicely textured loaf that's flecked with pretty carrot pieces. The tarragon flavor really comes through.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 4 hours
Makes1 loaf, 16 slices (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3/4 cup grated carrots
- 3 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup All-Bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 cups bread flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available.
- Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Editor's NoteWe recommend you do not use a bread machine's time-delay feature for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 128 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 271mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Originally published as Tarragon Carrot Bread in Quick Cooking September/October 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.