We host a Halloween party every year where guests are treated to "terrifying" edible tarantulas. In only a few minutes, you can have perfectly spooky treats for a crowd. —Charles Insler, Silver Spring, Maryland
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies
- 1 package (10 ounces) large marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Black shoestring licorice
- Black decorating gel
- Candy corn
- Place Cocoa Krispies in a large bowl. In a large saucepan, combine marshmallows and butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until melted. Pour over Cocoa Krispies; mix well. Cool slightly.
- With greased hands, shape 1/4 cupfuls into 20 balls and tablespoonfuls into 20 balls. Attach two different-sized balls to make spider bodies.
- With a bamboo skewer or toothpick, poke four holes on each side of spider bodies for inserting legs. Cut licorice into 2-inch pieces; insert into each hole. Draw eyes on head with gel. Cut white portion of candy corn for fangs; attach with gel. Serve the same day for best texture or store in airtight containers. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Tarantula Treats in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014, p2-05