I came up with this recipe because I love mousse, and because it’s an easy way to enjoy rhubarb in a dessert that’s light and refreshing.—Alan Mortensen, Dwight, Illinois
Recommended: 32 Sweet and Tart Rhubarb Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 carton (32 ounces) plain yogurt
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- Dash salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a strainer with four layers of cheesecloth; place over a bowl. Add yogurt to strainer; cover yogurt with edges of cheesecloth. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, 1/2 cup sugar, water, vinegar and salt; cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and rhubarb is tender. Transfer to a bowl; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add vanilla and remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Transfer yogurt from cheesecloth to a bowl (discard liquid from first bowl). Gradually fold cream mixture into yogurt.
- Fold into rhubarb mixture. Spoon into dessert dishes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Rhubarb Fool in Taste of Home February/March 2008, p43