Tangy Rhubarb Chutney
My mother-in-law shared with me a great chutney recipe that I experiment with by changing the fruits. This version is a bit different, but I love the pear, onion and rhubarb combination. The longer it sets, the better it tastes! —Barbara Estabrook, Rhinelander, Wisconsin
- 3 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 medium pears, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, brown sugar, vinegar, onion, raisins, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, salt, curry and nutmeg. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until rhubarb is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add pears. Simmer, uncovered, 10-15 minutes longer or until pears are tender. Cool to room temperature. Stir in mint. Transfer to a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving. May be stored in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
1/3 cup: 139 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC