Tangy Reuben Bake
My husband's background is Czech, so just about everyone in the family loves sauerkraut especially in this casserole. When I want a bit more zip, I add a third cup of sliced green pepper. My daughter won a purple ribbon at the state fair with this recipe.—Jewell Kronaizl, Vermillion, South Dakota
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, sliced and cooked
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 527 calories, 32g fat (12g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 1433mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 4g fiber), 16g protein.
Originally published as Tangy Reuben Bake in Casserole Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.