Tangy Red Cabbage
I often make Christmas dinners for the elderly ladies of our church who live alone. Many are of German descent and look forward to this traditional cabbage dish. —Joan Solberg, Ashland, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1 hour 40 min.
- 1 medium head red cabbage, shredded
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dill seed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Minced fresh parsley or parsley sprigs, optional
- Place cabbage in a large bowl, cover with boiling water. Let stand for 5 minutes; drain.
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings; set bacon aside. Stir the vinegar, sugar, dill seed and salt into drippings until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in cabbage, bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until cabbage is tender. stir in bacon. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 179 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Tangy Red Cabbage in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.