Tangy Potato Salad
This recipe came from Germany, where it was passed down through our family. My grandmother made it for me when I was a child...my mother modified it...and I added my own touches. It still has authentic German flavor, and it's in demand for every cookout or potluck we attend!
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 12 medium red potatoes (about 4 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 2 dill pickles, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tomatoes, cubed
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and slice potatoes. Cool completely.
- Transfer to a large salad bowl. Stir in the onion, eggs, pickles and parsley; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat chicken broth just until warm; remove from the heat. Stir in the mayonnaise, salt, pepper and garlic powder until blended.
- Pour over potato mixture; lightly toss to coat. Cover and chill. Just before serving, gently stir in tomatoes and bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 232 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 613mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Tangy Potato Salad in Reminisce Extra June 1993
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.