Tangy Pork Loin Roast
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bone-in pork loin roast (5 pounds)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated grapefruit zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- GRAVY (not shown):
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 medium grapefruit, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- Combine garlic powder, mustard, marjoram and salt; rub over roast. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 hours. Remove from the oven; drain. Combine grapefruit juice, brown sugar, grapefruit zest and mace; pour half over roast. Bake 30 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°, basting occasionally with remaining juice mixture. Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Stir drippings in pan to loosen brown bits; pour into a measuring cup. Skim off fat; reserve 2 tablespoons drippings. Add enough cold water to remaining drippings to measure 2 cups; set aside. Place flour in a saucepan; stir in reserved drippings until blended. Gradually stir in reserved liquid until smooth. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add grapefruit. Serve with the roast.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 304 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 393mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 41g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3-1/2 lean meat, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Apr 10, 2012
Also made with OJ. DELICIOUS. Best pork roast I've ever had.
Sep 25, 2011
Yummy! I made this with orange juice instead of grapefruit because I had it on hand. Will definitely make this again. Delicious!
Jan 16, 2010
We LOVED this pork roast! It is soemthing out of the ordinary and not too sweet like some recipes can be. Don't leave out the mace; it makes a noticable difference. I did not add the grapefruit pieces to the gravy, but did garnish the plate with greenery and pink grapefruit sections. Be sure not to overcook. 1 1-2 hours was too long for the size roast I used. Use a meat thermometer to get it just right. This will definitely become a regular at our house!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.