VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 large sweet onions, peeled
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed fat-free salad croutons
- Place the onions root end up on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Invert onto a cutting board. Slice each onion into eight wedges to within 1/2 in. of bottom; fan out. Place each onion on a 12-in. square piece of foil coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, brown sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Brush some over onions; set remaining mixture aside. Fold foil around onions; seal tightly.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Open foil carefully. Place onions on a serving platter. Drizzle with remaining vinegar mixture; sprinkle with croutons. Yield: 4 onions (8 servings).
Originally published as Tangy Onion Flowers in Taste of Home April/May 2002, p17