Tangy Onion Flowers
"These flavorful baked onions are a great accompaniment to grilled meat," writes field editor Karen Owen of Rising Sun, Indiana. "They aren't crisp like the deep-fried 'blooming onions' served in restaurants, but we think they are equally delicious."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
Makes4 onions (8 servings)
- 4 large sweet onions, peeled
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed fat-free salad croutons
- Place the onions root end up on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Invert onto a cutting board. Slice each onion into eight wedges to within 1/2 in. of bottom; fan out. Place each onion on a 12-in. square piece of foil coated with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, brown sugar, oregano, salt and pepper. Brush some over onions; set remaining mixture aside. Fold foil around onions; seal tightly.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Open foil carefully. Place onions on a serving platter. Drizzle with remaining vinegar mixture; sprinkle with croutons.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 48 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.