- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash dried oregano
- 1/2 pound catfish or whitefish fillets
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- TARTAR SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped dill pickle
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill or 3/4 teaspoon dill weed
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine the lemon juice, garlic, salt and oregano; add fillets. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30-60 minutes, turning several times.
- Drain and discard marinade. In a shallow bowl, combine cornmeal and flour. Coat fillets with cornmeal mixture. In a skillet, cook fillets in oil and butter for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork. Meanwhile, for tartar sauce, in a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle, onion and dill. Serve with fish. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forTangy Lemon Catfish
"Very good flavor. We opted to use store bought tartar sauce for the sake of time but found the fish didn't even need it. I used yellow cornmeal."
"I am not a fan of catfish... but this was so delisous! Just give it a try! You won't regret it!"