Tangy Hot Dogs
The young at heart will enjoy the zippy flavor of these hot dog sandwiches with all the toppings mixed right in. "Our grown sons still ask me to prepare these for them," remarks Janet Garski of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (1 pound) hot dogs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup shredded process cheese (Velveeta)
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- In a large saucepan, saute hot dogs and onion in oil until onion is tender. Sprinkle with flour, mustard and pepper. Stir in celery, water and ketchup until blended. Cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes; remove from the heat. Stir in cheese. Spoon about 1/2 cup hot dog mixture into each bun.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 377 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 1098mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Tangy Hot Dogs in Quick Cooking July/August 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.