Tangy German Potato Salad
"THIS IS an old recipe that reflects our family's heritage, handed down through the years. It's a hearty side dish and goes well with pork."
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 7 medium potatoes (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup vinegar
- Peel potatoes; place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30-40 minutes or until tender but firm.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings. When cool enough to handle, crumble bacon; set aside.
- In the drippings, saute onion and celery until tender. Stir in flour, sugar, salt and pepper until blended. Add water and vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain potatoes; slice and place in a large bowl. Add the bacon and sauce; toss gently to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 273 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Tangy German Potato Salad in Reminisce July/August 1994
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.