Tangy French Beans
This side dish will round out your speedy supper wonderfully. A sweet-and-sour bacon sauce gives fantastic flavor to frozen French-style green beans.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons cold water, divided
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen French-style green beans
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch; stir in vinegar and 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the beans and remaining water. Cover and microwave on high for 6-8 minutes or until heated through; drain. Add bacon mixture and toss to coat.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 106 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sweet 'n' Tangy Green Beans in Quick Cooking September/October 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.