Tangy Franks and Pears
This entree is one of my comfort foods. The combination of sweet fruit flavors and a touch of spicy meat is surprisingly compatible. -Josephine Laughlin, Norwich, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 large potato, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 hot dogs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium ripe pears, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a skillet, saute the potato, onion and celery in butter until celery is tender. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 956 calories, 51g fat (26g saturated fat), 112mg cholesterol, 1499mg sodium, 116g carbohydrate (69g sugars, 10g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Tangy Franks and Pears in Reminisce January/February 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.