Tangy Cranberry Beans
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 6 hours
- 3 cups dried navy beans
- 4 cups unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Rinse beans. Place in a saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let soak, covered, 1-4 hours. Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid.
- Transfer beans to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until beans are tender, 6-8 hours.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 349 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 671mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 10g fiber), 17g protein.
Jun 3, 2019
I let the beans soak for 1 hour. I followed the recipe as written. I cooked in slow cooker on High for 8 hours. They were still half cooked and couldn't serve them to my guests. It's possible my crock pot was going bad, though it was only a couple years old. I did taste the sauce to see if it would be worth trying to make again. I was very disappointed the flavor was bland. The color was not rich and thick as shown in picture. I won't make them again.