Tangy Broccoli with Peanuts
"My mother-in-law always made this side for special occasions," says Susan Riley from Allen, Texas. "It may sound unique, but it tastes wonderful!"
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped salted peanuts
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket; place in a small saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Reduce heat; add the sour cream, salt, paprika, poppy seeds and cayenne. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Transfer broccoli to a serving bowl. Spoon sauce mixture over broccoli; sprinkle with peanuts.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 102 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 232mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Broccoli with Sour Cream Sauce and Peanuts in Cooking for 2 Winter 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.