Tangy Beef Stroganoff
This is one of my favorite recipes. It features sirloin strips covered in a rich sour cream sauce with hints of caraway, mustard and tomato. It's a mouthwatering main dish for two people.—Robert Foust, Indianapolis, Indiana
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 8 ounces beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Basil Spaetzle or hot cooked noodles
- In a small bowl, combine the flour and sour cream until smooth. Add the tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon and caraway; mix well. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the beef, mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter until beef is browned and vegetables are tender. Add the sour cream mixture; heat through but do not boil. Serve over Basil Spaetzle (recipe also in Recipe Finder) or noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 377 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 118mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Tangy Beef Stroganoff in Taste of Home April/May 1996
Dec 28, 2010
The sauce was good but we didn't care for the strong flavor of the caraway seeds so I'd suggest leaving them out or reducing the amount. Served with a boxed spaetzle and the combination was great,