Tangy Beef Brisket
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 4 hours
Makes12-14 servings (6 cups sauce)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 bottle (28 ounces) ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 boneless beef brisket (6 pounds)
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the next nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes.
- Place brisket in a roasting pan. Add 3 cups of sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 4 hours or until tender, basting occasionally. Skim fat. To serve, thinly slice across the grain. Top with remaining sauce if desired.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 458 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 1033mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 40g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 4, 2019
This is delicious! The second plus is the fact the BBQ sauce recipe that comes with it will be my new go to!
Sep 24, 2016
Awesome brisket! Loved this homemade BBQ sauce.
Jan 28, 2016
I FIRST TRIED THIS RECIPE WHEN I SAW IT IN MY TASTE OF HOME COOKBOOK. THIS WAS BACK WHEN ALL THE CHILDREN WERE STILL AT HOME. EVERYONE LOVED IT. THEN OLDEST SON GOT MARRIED AND NEW DAUGHTER-IN-LAW ASKED IF SHE COULD HAVE A COOKBOOK. I HAVE SO MANY AND OF COURSE THE ONE SHE CHOSE HAD THIS RECIPE IN IT. I AM SO GLAD TO FIND IT AGAIN. CAN'T WAIT TO MAKE IT AGAIN. IT WAS SO GOOD.
Dec 15, 2015
This is one of my favorite brisket recipes. It is super easy and has amazing flavor.
Jun 7, 2014
Very good and very easy!
Jul 17, 2012
I never made a brisket before I tried this recipe and it was a hit with my family. This will definitely be in our recipe rotation.
Jan 19, 2012
Forgot to say that I cooked it in my roaster (since I made for 24 people).
Jan 19, 2012
I had made brisket once before with another recipe, but made this for a Christmas dinner I cooked for my co-workers. Mouth-wateringly good. The sauce is absolutely wonderful!! Can't wait to make it for a family gathering!
Apr 21, 2011
I have made brisket with this recipe several times and in fact have one in the oven now! We live in the south so the BBQ bar is high, and we love this recipe. It is just about as good as eating out.
Mar 20, 2011
I followed the recipe as written, using a 6 pound cut of meat. I served 8 adults and 4 children. the next time will use more meat as it does shrink in cooking. Excellent easy recipe.