- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 bottle (28 ounces) ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 boneless beef brisket (6 pounds)
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add the next nine ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes.
- Place brisket in a roasting pan. Add 3 cups of sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 4 hours or until tender, basting occasionally. Skim fat. To serve, thinly slice across the grain. Top with remaining sauce if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings (6 cups sauce).
Reviews forTangy Beef Brisket
"Awesome brisket! Loved this homemade BBQ sauce."
"I FIRST TRIED THIS RECIPE WHEN I SAW IT IN MY TASTE OF HOME COOKBOOK. THIS WAS BACK WHEN ALL THE CHILDREN WERE STILL AT HOME. EVERYONE LOVED IT. THEN OLDEST SON GOT MARRIED AND NEW DAUGHTER-IN-LAW ASKED IF SHE COULD HAVE A COOKBOOK. I HAVE SO MANY AND OF COURSE THE ONE SHE CHOSE HAD THIS RECIPE IN IT. I AM SO GLAD TO FIND IT AGAIN. CAN'T WAIT TO MAKE IT AGAIN. IT WAS SO GOOD."
"This is one of my favorite brisket recipes. It is super easy and has amazing flavor."
"Very good and very easy!"
"I never made a brisket before I tried this recipe and it was a hit with my family. This will definitely be in our recipe rotation."
"Forgot to say that I cooked it in my roaster (since I made for 24 people)."
"I have made brisket with this recipe several times and in fact have one in the oven now! We live in the south so the BBQ bar is high, and we love this recipe. It is just about as good as eating out."
"I followed the recipe as written, using a 6 pound cut of meat. I served 8 adults and 4 children. the next time will use more meat as it does shrink in cooking. Excellent easy recipe."
"Best Brisket I ever made!! The sauce is delicious and we use it on everything now. Gave recipe out to friends and they feel the same."