Tangy BBQ Sauce
If you can find sugar-free ketchup, use it in this recipe for a great tasting barbecue sauce that fits in sugar-sensitive diets. —Lynn Sawyer of Two Rivers, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Sugar substitute equivalent to 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large nonstick saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until sauce is thickened and reduced to 2-1/2 cups.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 36 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 390mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Spicy Barbecue Sauce in Healthy Cooking June/July 2008