- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf. Use as a basting sauce when grilling chicken, pork or beef. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.
Reviews forTangy Barbecue Sauce
"Very good sauce! I used it on shredded chicken breast for sandwiches!! Love the lemon in it! Gives it a refreshing taste!"
"Excellent taste and very easy to make"
"I will never buy barbecue sauce again. We love this recipe and it's so easy to make!"
"This has been a favourite in our kitchen for years, keeps well so great to have on hand."
"Great recipe and taste great one you'll use over and over again."
"For extra zip in the sauce I added Franks Red Hot and used Apple Cider Vinegar instead of Cider Vinegar and if you like it a little smokey, try adding liquid smoke..."
"I tried this recipe for the first time on back ribs and it is fantastic! Best BBQ sauce recipe I've ever tried"
"This was just ok. I'm trying to find a recipe as good as the bottled stuff, but this wasn't it. It wasn't bad, just not great."
"Good basic sauce, but it needs more zip and I like it thicker. I intend to play with it to improve it for my taste."