- 3 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 boneless chuck roast (3 to 4 pounds), trimmed
- 14 to 18 hamburger buns, split
- In a slow cooker, combine the first 12 ingredients; mix well. Add roast. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook 7-8 hours longer or until meat is tender. Remove roast; cool. Shred meat and return to sauce; heat through. Use a slotted spoon to serve on buns. Yield: 14-18 servings.
Reviews forTangy Barbecue Sandwiches
"This recipe is totally awesome! I made this and put it on homemade hamburger buns and they were delish!"
"This recipe is AMAZING! So easy to prepare with wonderful results - tender, flavorful, and even delicious as left-overs."
"I used a spicy BBQ sauce and it was the perfect seasoning for my family, everyone had seconds!"
"Very good. I used venison rather than beef."
"I've made this recipe many times over the years and it is a family favorite. Incidentally, I got this recipe before there was a website."
"I got this recipe from my mom and love it! It lasts us through a dinner and couple of lunches. My husband and toddler son eat it up!"
"Our family really liked this recipe, but I altered it a bit. I only added about 1/4 cup of water and I used venison cutlets instead of beef roast. If I had added any more water, I think the sauce would have been too thin to stick to any meat. We will definitely make this again!"
"I made this recipe for my family because we are always very busy. The slow cooker does all the work, and when we're ready to eat, all we have to do is load up a hamburger bun with the meat we want and enjoy. Cooking everything in the slow cooker makes clean up easy as well.I've reviewed my experience with this recipe on my blog here, where I frequently feature my experiences making different ToH recipes. http://lynettecornell.com/?p=349"
"I just tried this recipe but cooked it stove top for a couple of hours. Came out terrific"
"I also made this for my family for many years!"