When the weather turns cooler in fall, these baked apples from my mom are sure to warm you up. Our family enjoys them with turkey, pork…even meat loaf. My husband and I like to add a bit more horseradish for extra zip. —Dee Poppie, Gilman, Illinois
Featured In: Baked Apples
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium tart apples, cored
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup water
- Cut apples in half; brush with 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Place in an ungreased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, butter, horseradish and remaining lemon juice. Top each apple half with 2 tablespoons ketchup mixture. Pour water around apples.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Tangy Baked Apples in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p135