Tangy Baked Apples
When the weather turns cooler in fall, these baked apples from my mom are sure to warm you up. Our family enjoys them with turkey, pork…even meat loaf. My husband and I like to add a bit more horseradish for extra zip. —Dee Poppie, Gilman, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 medium tart apples
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup water
- Cut apples in half lengthwise; remove cores. Brush with 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Place in an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish. Combine the brown sugar, ketchup, butter, horseradish and remaining lemon juice. Top each apple half with 2 tablespoons ketchup mixture. Pour water around apples.
- Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 30 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 137 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Tangy Baked Apples in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.