Tangy Apple Slaw Burgers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Grill: 15 min.
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 crisp unpeeled medium apples, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- Combine first five ingredients; remove 1/4 cup cabbage mixture and reserve. Add mayonnaise, lime zest, lime juice, pepper and salt to remaining cabbage mixture, tossing well to coat. Refrigerate, covered, until burgers are grilled.
- For burgers, gently combine beef and reserved cabbage mixture. Mix lightly but thoroughly; shape into four patties. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill burgers, covered, on a greased grill rack over medium-high direct heat 5-7 minutes on each side until a thermometer reads 160°. Grill buns just until toasted, about 1 minute. To serve, place a burger and 1/4 cup apple slaw on each bun bottom; replace tops. Serve with remaining slaw.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 burger with 1/2 cup additional slaw: 479 calories, 16g fat (6g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 902mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 6g fiber), 39g protein.
Oct 22, 2017
the slaw was very dry and I had to add Sour cream, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, double the lime juice and sugar to get it to taste like something....after these additions it was well received as a slaw topping.
Oct 1, 2017
The apple slaw is a fun change of pace and the burgers are very moist! These were great with brioche buns we found at the grocery store.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.