- 1/2 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 crisp unpeeled medium apples, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- Combine first five ingredients; remove 1/4 cup cabbage mixture and reserve. Add mayonnaise, lime peel, lime juice, pepper and salt to remaining cabbage mixture, tossing well to coat. Refrigerate, covered, until burgers are grilled.
- For burgers, gently combine beef and reserved cabbage mixture. Mix lightly but thoroughly; shape into four patties. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill burgers, covered, on a greased grill rack over medium-high direct heat 5-7 minutes on each side until a thermometer reads 160°. Grill buns just until toasted, about 1 minute. To serve, place a burger and 1/4 cup apple slaw on each bun bottom; replace tops. Serve with remaining slaw. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forTangy Apple Slaw Burgers
"the slaw was very dry and I had to add Sour cream, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard, double the lime juice and sugar to get it to taste like something....after these additions it was well received as a slaw topping."
"The apple slaw is a fun change of pace and the burgers are very moist! These were great with brioche buns we found at the grocery store."