Tangy Apple-Ginger Chutney
For an afternoon snack, we spread this tangy chutney over a bagel with cream cheese. For more kick, add black pepper, red pepper and cumin. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium McIntosh apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pickled banana peppers
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add red onion, sweet red pepper and green onions; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add apples and banana peppers; cook and stir 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated, stirring occasionally. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.