Tangy Apple-Ginger Chutney
For an afternoon snack, we spread this tangy chutney over a bagel with cream cheese. For more kick, add black pepper, red pepper and cumin. —Aysha Schurman, Ammon, Idaho
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium McIntosh apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pickled banana peppers
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup apple cider or juice
- 2/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add red onion, sweet red pepper and green onions; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add apples and banana peppers; cook and stir 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until liquid is almost evaporated, stirring occasionally. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.
Originally published as Tangy Apple and Banana Pepper Chutney in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.