Citrus really comes through in this interesting mix of fruit, nuts and chickpeas. It makes a hearty and flavorful side dish that’s perfect with grilled chicken, pork or beef. —Vivian Levine, Summerfield, Florida
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tangerines, peeled, sectioned and chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup tangerine juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated tangerine peel
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place bulgur in a large bowl. Stir in water. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Drain well.
- Stir in the garbanzo beans, tangerines, dates, pistachios and cranberries. In a small bowl, combine the tangerine juice, oil, tangerine peel, ginger and salt. Pour over bulgur mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Stir before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 261 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 142mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 8g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Tangarine Tabouli in Simple & Delicious February/March 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.