Tangerine Chip Tea Scones
A holiday tradition for my family is Christmas Eve tea. I devised a recipe featuring my son's favorite flavors of chocolate and orange to create a scone perfect for dipping. He loves them! —Joyce Manier, Beech Grove, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons grated tangerine zest (about 2 tangerines)
- 1/2 teaspoon water
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and coriander. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add sour cream and egg yolk just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips and tangerine zest.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead 10 times. Pat into a 9-1/2-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges; separate wedges and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Beat egg white and water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake at 400° until golden brown, 15-20 minutes. Serve with cream cheese spread.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 461 calories, 29g fat (18g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 560mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Tangerine Chip Tea Scones in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008