If you like Southwest-style food, then perhaps you'll enjoy this zesty meat loaf. I've made it for large groups and have received many compliments.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Taco sauce, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef, celery, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, cornmeal, corn, olives, eggs, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Pour into a well-greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours until a thermometer reaches 160°. Serve with taco sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 215 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 854mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Tamale Loaf in Country Extra November 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.