Tall Pines is the name of our farm, and my husband, Chuck, and I love it here. I think fresh breakfast sausage tastes much better than the frozen variety, so I developed this recipe. It's great with scrambled eggs.
Recommended: 51 Farmer-Approved Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 2 teaspoons ground savory
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2-1/2 pounds ground pork
- In a large bowl, combine first seven ingredients. Add pork; mix with hands to blend well. Cover and chill 6 hours or overnight.
- Shape into 12 3-1/2-in. patties. Cook patties in a skillet over medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes, turning once. Drain. Yield: 12 patties.
Originally published as Tall Pines Farm Sausage in Country October/November 1992, p51