Take-Along Raisin Squares
Loaded with raisins, dates, chocolate chips and almonds, these moist bars are perfect when you're dashing off in the morning. Shirley Glaab of Hattiesburg, Mississippi suggests taking the treats along on hikes, too.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups raisins
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons All-Bran, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually add oats and flour. Stir in the raisins, almonds, dates and chocolate chips (batter will be thick).
- Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with bran if desired. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 square: 353 calories, 16g fat (7g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Take-Along Raisin Squares in Quick Cooking July/August 2004