Tailgate Apple Pies
Made as single servings, these handheld pies are ideal for football games or other parties. They always disappear quickly. You can also use large cookie cutters to create holiday shapes in the tender pastry. For Valentine's Day, I cut a small heart into the top crust. —Jennifer Stoltz, Spring Green, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 9 to 10 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups finely chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half; form each into a disk. Wrap separately in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add apples; cook and stir 5 minutes. Mix brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon; add to apples. Cook and stir 7-8 minutes longer or until apples begin to soften and caramelize. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut 12 footballs with a floured 4-in. football-shaped cookie cutter.
- Transfer half of the footballs to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spoon about 2 tablespoons filling onto center of each. Brush edges of pastry with egg. Top with remaining footballs; press edges with a fork to seal. Cut three slits in top of pastry and score a curved line on each end of the footballs. Brush tops with egg; sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. While pies are baking, repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Let pies stand 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.