Taco Tater Skins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 65 min.
- 6 large baking potatoes (about 13 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 15 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Salsa and sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Scrub potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Place on a baking sheet; bake until tender, 60-70 minutes. Cool slightly. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into quarters; remove pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (save pulp for another use). Mix melted butter and seasoning; brush over both sides of potato skins. Place on greased baking sheets, skin side down. Sprinkle with cheese, bacon and green onions.
- Bake until cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes. If desired, serve with salsa and sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 153 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 24, 2012
I have this recipe cut out from the Feb '99 CW and have been making it ever since. I use the whole potato (not just the skins) and make it a whole meal. If you use the microwave to "bake" the potatoes, or better yet, use a couple quarts of home canned ones, it's a super fast well-received supper.
Jan 3, 2010
A family favorite for eight years. I always made these on Thanksgiving Eve for a late night snack as my hungry sons arrived home from college. I used the pulp to make the mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner the next day. Absolutely delicious!
Jan 1, 2010
My family LOVED these! They went really well with an appetizer buffet.