- 6 large baking potatoes (about 13 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 15 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Salsa and sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Scrub potatoes; pierce several times with a fork. Place on a baking sheet; bake until tender, 60-70 minutes. Cool slightly. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into quarters; remove pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (save pulp for another use). Mix melted butter and seasoning; brush over both sides of potato skins. Place on greased baking sheets, skin side down. Sprinkle with cheese, bacon and green onions.
- Bake until cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes. If desired, serve with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forTaco Tater Skins
"I have this recipe cut out from the Feb '99 CW and have been making it ever since. I use the whole potato (not just the skins) and make it a whole meal. If you use the microwave to "bake" the potatoes, or better yet, use a couple quarts of home canned ones, it's a super fast well-received supper."
"My family LOVED these! They went really well with an appetizer buffet."