Taco Supper in a Bowl
This recipe is high on my family's list of favorites! It makes a hearty supper.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 70 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (15-1/2 ounces) tortilla chips
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and chopped
- 8 cups shredded lettuce
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Add the tomatoes, water, beans, chilies, cumin, oregano and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- To serve, break tortilla chips into soup bowls; top with avocados and lettuce. Spoon soup over lettuce. Garnish with cheese and salsa.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 470 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 638mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 23g protein.
Originally published as Taco Supper In A Bowl in Country December/January 2005