Taco Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 4 medium green peppers
- 1/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1. Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- 2. Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Reduce heat to low. Add the tomatoes, taco seasoning and garlic. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon into peppers. Place in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 4. Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 379 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Reviews for Taco Stuffed Peppers
"We enjoyed these but felt they needed a bit more salt & taco seasoning. Will definitely make again though!"
"I used rice rather than orzo. Even though we eat relatively low sodium meals, next time I'll add a little salt."