Taco Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 4 medium green peppers
- 1/3 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 pound reduced-fat bulk pork sausage
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Reduce heat to low. Add the tomatoes, taco seasoning and garlic. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon into peppers. Place in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 379 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 772mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 18, 2013
We enjoyed these but felt they needed a bit more salt & taco seasoning. Will definitely make again though!
May 10, 2010
I used rice rather than orzo. Even though we eat relatively low sodium meals, next time I'll add a little salt.
May 6, 2009
Very good weeknight dinner recipe. I changed it up a bit but using half hot It. Sausage and half lean grnd beef; a little more orzo, cheese, garlic and next time more tomato.