Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells Recipe
- 18 uncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3 ounces fat-free cream cheese, cubed
- 1 bottle (16 ounces) taco sauce, divided
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, divided
- 20 baked tortilla chip scoops, coarsely crushed
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water; drain again.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble beef over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 6-8 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cream cheese and 1/2 cup taco sauce until blended. Stir in 1/4 cup shredded cheese.
- 3. Spoon about 2 tablespoons filling into each shell. Place in an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with remaining taco sauce.
- 4. Bake, covered, until heated through, 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chips.
- 5. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casserole with foil; bake as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°. Top with cheese and chips as directed. Yield: 6 servings.
3 stuffed shells: 384 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 665mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Reviews for Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells
"My daughter has been after me to make these and now I'm sorry it took me so long as they are delicious! Simple to put together and I made them ahead of time, so it was easy to pop in the oven for dinner. Added some sour cream on top when serving and they were perfect! Will definitely be making again."
"The grandkids loved it and it was simple to make."
"I will make this again!!! Everyone loved it! You could add veggies to this. I added some corn."
"Good. Freezes well, I just let it defrost in the fridge overnight and cooked as usual."
"Very good! I topped it with coarsely crushed Doritos......yummy!!! Served with sour cream...no brainer. Love this recipe!! ??"
"Very good and flavorful"
"My husband really liked this but I thought it was just ok. I think maybe next time I'll cut back on the meat and add some veggies (like maybe some corn or chopped bell pepper). We actually tried it with chicken and it all worked out fine. Will update my review when we try it again and use ground beef."
"Yum! My husband was amused by the "Mexican stuffed shells", but we both liked them a lot. I didn't change a thing, except I didn't use the crushed tortilla scoops."
"This was very tasty. I used ground turkey and added a packet of taco seasoning to give it more flavor. I didn't have taco sauce so I used salsa. The only thing I would do different next time is I would make it a casserole to save time stuffing the shells. I am going to use al dente rotini and mix with turkey mixture and bake as indicated and then add the cheese and broken tortillas and bake until cheese is melted. I think it will be just as good and not so much work."
"its official! my son gave this dish his stamp of approval as the best Mexican dish he's ever eaten and he actually rushed home to eat the leftovers before anyone else could get to it. I made it exactly as written and it was delish!"
"Made these for lunch. WOW. GREAT. Added a few red pepper for a little kick."
"I have been making these since they originally came out.my grandkids love them and so do my husband and i. Leftovers freeze well. Very good!"
"I made this the day before and then baked it the next day. We really liked it"
"Excellent and have made it multiple times!"
"I love this recipe, I followed it exactly and it came out great. I liked the crunch the chips added but they didn't add too much flavor so they aren't really necessary. I saved extra to chips to use on the leftovers since they got soggy in the fridge."
"We didn't use all the taco sauce, only had 1 lb of beef, left off the tortilla chips, and still decided we like this better than traditional stuffed shells."
"easy and fun! The whole family enjoyed these a lot!"
"Excellent recipe!! I love it and make it all the time now. My family loves its too"
"My kids love this!!"
"I like to cook some onion with oil first then add the beef."
"They tasted pretty good, but it takes too much time to prepare. I didn't like having to stand there filling each shell and then you still have to bake it for another 30 mins. Also, the picture makes the shells look bigger than they really are. I think next time I'll lay lasagna noodles in the pan and just spread the beef mixture over top of those. That would make the whole process way faster! This recipe is just too time consuming and they're really not worth it."
"My Husband and son couldnt get enough made a 13x9pan and there is only 2 shells left wow what a great hit and a new edition will make this again."
"I forgot to buy taco sauce, and used a jar of salsa instead, and I think it turned out great. I'm not sure what the cream cheese did for it. And we topped ours with a dollop of sour cream. My husband was pretty wow'ed!"
"Way too much chili powder! Will definitely scale it down next time, but my husband LOVED it! The tortilla chips go great with everything."
"Delicious! I scaled this down to 2 servings for just me and my husband and it was a big hit. It was easy to prepare, had good flavor, and I especially like the fact that it is lower in fat. We had it last week and I am making it again tonight. This one is going into regular rotation!"
"Very messy and not very tasty, stick with regular tacos!"
"Teens loved it - single recipe didn't last long - they couldn't get enough! Great recipe!"
"This recipes rocks!! Loved it!!"
"My family loved it! All my kids had seconds and even thirds! Its going on my make again list!"
"i love this dish and you were right kids do love it"