Taco Skillet Supper
Using ground turkey breast in place of traditional ground beef makes this meal a little lighter, but without sacrificing flavor.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/4 cups salsa, divided
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- Coat a 2-qt. baking dish with cooking spray; add potatoes and 1 tablespoon onion. dissolve bouillon in water; pour 1/2 cup over potatoes. In a large bowl, combine the taco seasoning, milk, 1/4 cup salsa, oats, egg substitute and remaining onion; crumble turkey over mixture and mix well.
- Spread over potatoes. Combine remaining salsa and chicken broth; pour over the turkey mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a thermometer reads 165° and meat is no longer pink.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 206 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 531mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.
Originally published as Taco Skillet Supper in Country Woman March/April 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.