Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup water
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 6-7 batches (about 3/4 cup total).
- 2. To prepare tacos: In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
1-1/2 teaspoons: 200 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 873mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Mar 26, 2018
My go-to for taco seasoning. I love this recipe, but I totally omit the salt because of dietary restrictions.
May 5, 2017
Shoulda paid more attention to the reviews. WAAAAY too salty. Perhaps it should have been 3 teaspoons rather than 3 tablespoons. Throwing out the rest of the batch. May try it again with MUCH less salt.
Aug 16, 2016
My whole family loved this taco seasoning mix. I used half the salt, used garlic powder instead of dried minced and ground red pepper instead of the flakes. It has a lot of flavor and just the right amount of kick. Added bonus - it doesn't have that garish red/orange color of the store bought packaged kind.
Dec 12, 2015
I have used this recipe since it first came out in Quick Cooking years ago. I always cut the salt in half, and sometimes by two-thirds. I also don't add bouillion. Instead, I add beef soup base equivalent when making the taco meat - less sodium again.
Oct 27, 2014
Citric acid is a good replacement for 90% of the salt used. Just gives a slight lemon flavor, which I love anyway. I also use less critic acid than I did salt a lot. Not a lot of difference in price, really good for salt problems.
Oct 16, 2014
easy and quick to make. Most of these ingredients are on hand. The taste was great.
May 24, 2014
great alternative to store brands - will make it again, but I also cut down on the salt
Dec 31, 1969
I've tried a lot of different seasoning recipes for tacos and this is the only one that my kids like.
Feb 3, 2013
YUCK. This was horribly salty. I would never make it again.
Jan 23, 2012
I needed a low sodium taco mix and made with only 1 TBSP salt instead of 3. It was much better than the packaged stuff and cheaper too. Will keep this recipe.