Taco Salad with Baked Shells
Instead of using deep-fried salad shells, this recipe calls for baking flour tortillas in the microwave. Doing so keeps all the flavor and reduces the fat.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 flour tortillas (9 inches)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Shredded lettuce, sliced ripe olives, chopped onions and sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning, water and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Meanwhile, place each tortilla in a microwave-safe 7-in.-diameter shallow bowl, forming a shell. Spritz with butter spray. Microwave two at a time on high for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until crisp and lightly browned. Carefully remove from bowls to serving plates.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine refried beans and salsa. Cover and microwave on high for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Spoon into tortilla shells. Top with the beef mixture and cheese. Serve with lettuce, olives, onions and sour cream.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray.
Originally published as Taco Salad in 2004 Taste of Home Calendar
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.