Taco Salad Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium V8 juice
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 3/4 cup shredded lettuce
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- Tortilla chips, optional
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, onion and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
- Add V8 juice and salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons of lettuce, 1 tablespoon of tomato and cheese, and 2 teaspoons of green onions and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 233 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 707mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Oct 20, 2016
Like the recipe submitter indicated, this is a chili-like soup minus the beans. It is very hearty, dense, thick and rich with tomato flavor. The versatility of topping with your favorite ingredients makes it enjoyable for everyone at the table. If you are looking for a super fast and easy chili recipe, just add a couple cans of kidney or pinto beans and simmer to develop the flavors.
May 22, 2014
love this recipe. I love taco salad but have a teenage son and salad is rarely an option. this works because my son can "opt out" of the toppings.
Oct 31, 2010
LOVE this recipe. I made this last night, doubling the recipe because we were having company. Good thing too...hubby had 3 bowls!! Will definitely make again!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.