- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 2 envelopes taco seasoning, divided
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce
- 1 package (10 ounces) nacho-flavored tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (2-1/4 ounces each) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups Thousand Island salad dressing
- 1-1/3 cups salsa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef with 1 envelope plus 2 tablespoons taco seasoning until no longer pink; drain.
- In a very large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, chips, tomatoes, beans, olives, cheese, onion, chilies and beef mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, salsa, sugar and remaining taco seasoning; pour over salad and toss to coat. Yield: 26 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
Reviews forTaco Salad for a Large Crowd
"I have used this recipe for many years. My family's favorite dressing is Green Goddess. I like to leave the dressing off so everyone can add as much as they like. (and the kind they like...just put several out for their selection)"
"I got this same recipe from the mother of one of my college class mates in 1977 and have enjoyed it ever since."
"What a Wonderful salad. It surely surpasses any salad that I have made in the past. In fact I need more stars to fill in cause 5 is not enough. Plain and simple easy and cheap and so full of flavor. Boot it up or go light on the peppers like I did . I used Plain old Green. But this recipe is so much more than Peppers. Its a Boat load of yumminess that I highly recommend for Entertaining, Pot Luck or Just Because .. Its a must try and yes it does feed a crowd and is still very good the next day.Janie Taste of Home Volunteer Field Editor."
"I love this recipe !!!! I have several different versions, originally called for Russian dressing ! Fritos, black beans, with meat or w/o doesn't matter , it's always a crowd favorite !! I've even made it with Rotel dip as the dressing & fresh avocado added . I'm trying this version ASAP ! Can't wait !!! Ten stars !"
"We loved this recipe. I have been on the hunt for the perfect taco salad and here it is !I left out the sugar and switched the onions for green onions and didn't add the chilies as my salsa is pretty spicy. Thanks for sharing !! On my keepers list !"
"We thought the dressing was too sweet; leave out the sugar. If I were to make this again I would let people add their own dressing of their. It seemed to goopy to me and once you add the dressing you can't really save any leftovers."
"Made as directed, including the salad dressing with 1000 Island. Made a HUGE batch, plenty for a large potluck or picnic dish. Solid recipe, tasty and can be adjusted as needed (different flavors of chips, pinto or black beans instead of kidney, switch kinds of cheese, etc.) Would make again and experiment a bit more."
"To those of us who grew up in the '60's and '70's when there were few Mexican restaurants around - something like Catalina dressing or Ott's Famous Dressing was commonly used. We grew up with it so of course we like it. Now I just use plenty of a good homemade salsa Bottled Thousand Island has too much sugar and calories for my liking. That said, the salad ingredients are great so I give it four stars."
"Made exactly as recipe is written - like you should if you are going to rate the recipe. Turned out great. Everyone loved it - especially the dressing. Adding the salsa and taco seasoning to the thousand island dressing gave it a Mexican flavor. Can't imagine using Catalina or French on Taco salad as others did - not the right flavor."
"My mom's version uses catalina dressing instead of 1000 island (too much of a mayo base in the 1000 island). Omit the salsa and sugar as well (not really necessary because the salsa ingredients are already in the salad and the sugar serves no purpose). Beans and olives on the side. She made this for years for summer potlucks and now I do and we've never had leftovers!"