VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning, divided
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
- 1 package (12-1/2 ounces) nacho tortilla chips, coarsely crushed
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Western salad dressing
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon taco sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in water and 2 tablespoons taco seasoning. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- In a very large serving bowl, combine the lettuce, chips, tomatoes, cheese, beans, onion and beef mixture. Combine the salad dressing, sugar, taco sauce and remaining taco seasoning; pour over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Taco Salad for a Crowd in Farm and Ranch Living April/May 2009, p36