Amy Fecher from Beavercreek, Ohio shares the colorful taco salad that is her husband's favorite meal. "Because it is simple and he looks forward to it so, I find myself fixing this at least once a month," she says. "And for those brisk fall days, spicier chili beans can add some welcome heat."
Recommended: 20 Recipes You Can Make with A Pound of Taco Meat
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) chili beans, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 cups corn chips
- 4 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- In a skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, green pepper, onion, olives and salt if desired; heat through. On two plates, layer the corn chips, lettuce, beef mixture, cheese and tomato. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Taco Salad in Country Woman September/October 2004, p37