"Whenever I'm busy, I make these southwestern sandwiches that start with convenient refried beans and deli chicken," explains Patricia Sanks from Camas, Washington. "Cheese, veggies and a creamy homemade spread top them off. I never have leftovers."
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 5 min.
- 4 French sandwich rolls
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans, warmed
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and mashed
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- Cut rolls in half lengthwise; hollow out the bottoms, leaving 1-in. shells. Place rolls cut side up on a baking sheet. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2 minutes or until toasted.
- Combine the beans and taco seasoning; spread over bottom of rolls. Top with chicken, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, olives, onion and chilies. Combine the sour cream, avocado and pepper sauce; spread over cut side of roll tops. Place over sandwiches.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 739 calories, 34g fat (18g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 1402mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 11g fiber), 40g protein.
Originally published as Taco Po'Boys in Quick Cooking September/October 2004